Cup Teams Progress - Clongowes Wood College

Posted: 6th February 2016

Cup Teams Progress

What a finish! Goodness what a finish!

A game that had ebbed and flowed for 59 action-packed minutes was tied at 26 points apiece at the death and flowing in favour of Monkstown as they neared the Clongowes line with intent. We would be fibbing to say that we wouldn’t have settled for a replay until – mirabile dictu – full back John Maher somehow wrested the ball from the attack and set off down the left hand touchline with the gentlemen of Monkstown in hot pursuit.

Fortunately John is something of a sprinter and there was only ever going to be one winner as he approached those of us on the terrace at the Bective end with his ears pinned back. The exultation on his face and those of his team-mates who engulfed him bespoke relief as much as joy as the referee blew the final whistle following the conversion attempt. Many were reminded of THAT TRY scored by James Lappin in last year’s senior match against Belvedere, while those of us of a certain age recalled Richard Morgan’s try against St Michael’s JCT in 1988 that finally decided a second replay in Clongowes’ favour.

While CBC might feel that they deserved at least a replay we will gladly accept the sudden turn of events that has allowed the Junior Cup team to join their senior colleagues in the semi-finals (Full match report here). The match will be played in Donnybrook next Sunday, March 6th, with St Michael’s providing the opposition.

Watch this space.

Declan O’Keeffe, Head of Communications

Seniors Next

On Tuesday February 9th the Clongowes Senior team showed their junior counterparts the way to the semi finals of the Leinster Cup with a disciplined 27-5 victory over a gritty and determined CBC Monkstown, who never gave up. Full report here and pictures here. The holders, Roscrea College will provide the opposition in the semi final to be held on Tuesday March 1st at 15.00 in Donnybrook.

The previous week (Friday, February 4th) in a windswept and rainy Clontarf, the Clongowes Junior Team emulated their older schoolmates by progressing to the quarter-finals of the cup with a 21-0 victory over Kilkenny College (full report below – pictures here).

Clongowes SCT 33: The King’s Hospital 08. Report here and pictures here.


David Wilkinson kicked Clongowes into the quarterfinals of the Junior Cup on Friday (February 4th) after a rain-soaked afternoon of graft and attrition. Clongowes kicked off into clear skies and showed what they are capable of in good conditions as John Maher sliced the Kilkenny defence like a fresh loaf of bread for the opening score after five minutes.

Torrential rain soon followed and the Clongowes forwards were forced to fight for their supper. Their hard work fed Wilkinson and he fed the Clongowes lead with a 15th minute penalty for a 10-0 interval lead.

Kilkenny had their purple patch in the second half, as the rain continued, but the Kildare team weathered this storm. Kilkenny were one dimensional in attack and Clongowes were happy to make the hits and capitalise on poor discipline. Their patience paid off as the trusty boot of Wilkinson kicked two more three pointers for a 16-0 lead late on.

In the final attack of the game, replacement Milo Cruise O’Brien sent the Kilkenny defence back where they came from with a barnstorming try to seal an emphatic 23-0 triumph for Clongowes.

Barry Murphy, Rhetoric

Go to Top